.

.
photo cred:Amanda V Photography

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Money saving breakfast

So like most moms in America, breakfast is the craziest meal of the day.  We are trying to get the kids up and out the door and if you work outside the home as well it can be even crazier.  Used to be we threw some cereal in a cup and they ate on the way.  But for me...I dont do cereal.  If I dont have some protein I am cranky!  I LOVE EGGS!  If you know me you can attest to this.  I would eat them every meal of every day.  I LOVE THEM!   So lately we have been buying those Jimmy Dean Delites.  Win win right?  Protein for me...low calorie for me...kids love them too.  Here's the catch: they are like $6 for 4 sandwiches.  A good alternative to eating out, but not a cost effective breakfast.  When you multiply that by three people for the week it is $24 for breakfast.   I didn't think I had a good option. 

Yesterday I was watching The Kitchen on food network and they were making breakfast sandwiches.  Score!  When I went grocery shopping yesterday I got what I needed and today I made up 20 breakfast sandwiches which should last almost 2 weeks. I did not follow the recipe exactly, infact I only used it as inspiration.  It was pretty simple.  I mixed up the eggs in a bowl and baked them in the oven for 12 minutes on 425*.  Halfway through I sprinkled a cup of cheese over the top.  Then I took it out, let it cool and cut it into 20 squares. 



Then I cooked the bacon.  I used half a slice of jalapeno bacon for each sandwich but you could use more if desired.  



Then I assembled the sandwiches.  I placed a square of Egg and cheese mixture on the mini bagel topped with the bacon the the top of the bagel.  Wrap it up tight in Saran wrap and put them in a zip lock. 





I used quart bags and put 4 sandwiches per bag.  Put them in the freezer.  When I take them out I will unwrap them, wrap them in a paper towel, microwave on low for 1 1/2 minutes and high for 45 seconds. update: I heated them up this morning...they were delicious!!! but here are updated warming times based on my microwave-1 min 15 sec on low (about level 3 power) and then 30 sec on high.  






Here is the cost break down:
20 eggs @ $0.13/egg= $2.60
2 bags of whole wheat mini bagels @ $2.98/bag= $5.96
1 lb bacon (depends on brand) =$3.99
1/2 bag shredded cheese @ $2/bag= $1.00
TOTAL= $12.55  for 20 sandwiches (it actually was less since the bacon was from my parents when they moved but for cost comparison I will go with this) 

To compare it would be $30 for 20 breakfast sandwiches.  It works out to $2.51/box instead of $6/box.  

I also should mention that the delites version of this is 220 calories and this version is 212 calories according to myfitnesspal recipe calculator.  Pretty comparable. 

And it really didnt take that long to put together.  In my opinion...TOTALLY WORTH IT!  I am excited to try this with other varieties, maybe some salsa in the eggs, sausage or ham instead of bacon, the possibilities are endless.  You could also do egg whites only to cut some calories and cholesterol.  This has literally rocked my world!  


This little guy was watching my every move with the bacon and eggs...I would be lying if I didn't say his cuteness got him a few scraps!  

8 comments:

  1. I think my husband would totally love this if i did this for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used Canadian bacon and Nature's own Whole Wheat thin bagels. 215 Calories and 22 carbs. Thanks for the great idea! To slide in extra protein try adding cottage cheese to the eggs, keeps them from getting tough and adds some more protein to the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would sausage work the same way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why it wouldn't! I have made these with many different varieties and even as a breakfast burrito. They are hard to mess up!

      Delete
    2. I don't see why it wouldn't! I have made these with many different varieties and even as a breakfast burrito. They are hard to mess up!

      Delete
  4. What a GREAT idea!!! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete