.

.
photo cred:Amanda V Photography

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Gluten Free Fun

So, we are not gluten free.  We actually enjoy gluten.  However, at one time I did paleo which I actually really enjoyed.  I have played around with doing it again, but one of the things I didn't do before was experiment with grain free or gluten free since you don't do grains on paleo.  Well, fast forward two years and my dad has done Atkins for a while.  We were having them over for dinner with my grandparents and I was making big beautiful homemade hamburger buns...I decided to try an almond meal flatbread.  He really enjoyed it and took home the leftovers to use as a toast substitute.  So then we had pizza night with my parents and my dad said he would just use a low carb tortilla and put toppings on that...I couldn't have that...So, I found a recipe for almond meal yeast crust and even ground up my own almond meal.  I personally like it almost better than the regular crust...I like the crunch of it and the nutty flavor.  It was so good!  So without furthar talk, here are my recipes for almond meal flatbread and almond meal pizza crust...I say my recipe because I altered both from the original recipe I looked up.


Almond Meal Flatbread:
Ingredients:
1 Cup Almond Meal
1/8 Cup Flax meal
1/8 Cup water
dash of kosher salt
1 Tbs olive oil
1 egg

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together well.  Divide into four.  Form each of the four into a flat disc about 1/2 inch thick and place in a pan heated to medium heat with a little butter or olive oil or coconut oil in the pan.  Let cook for about 5 minutes or so.  Flip and press down after flipping to flatten down to 1/4 inch thick. Cook 5 min on that side. Remove from heat.  Enjoy however...toast in a toaster, use for sandwiches, spread nutella on it...whatever :)


Almond Meal Yeast Pizza Dough:
Ingredients:
1/4 tsp. sugar (or honey if you prefer)
2/3 cup warm water
2 1/2 tsp. yeast (or one packet rapid rise yeast)
1 1/2 cup almond meal
1/8 cup flax meal\
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Directions:
Mix warm water, sugar, and yeast  in a bowl.  Let it sit about 10 minutes to proof (get foamy/frothy).  Mix in the rest of the ingredients.  Let it rest for about 5 minutes.  Spread the dough on a seasoned pizza stone.  It will have more of a paste like consistency so you will probably want to use a spatula or spoon to spread the dough on the pizza stone.  it will make one 12 inch crust.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the crust starts to get golden brown.  Remove, top with toppings and bake until cheese is bubbly and delicious or toppings are cooked.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment