.

.
photo cred:Amanda V Photography

Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Key

So this morning I was cooking up some sandwich rolls and lemon bars.  Bria was playing with some stuffed animals and all of a sudden she comes in and asks me "Momma, do you have a key to your bedroom?"
HUH?  My response was "why?" ...although deep down I already knew.
"uhhhh....weeeelll...momma, Jib (MK's teddy bear) was sick (pretend throwing up) and he wouldn't stay away from Sister Christmas Buddy (one of her stuffed giraffes) so she is sick now and so I put her to bed in your bed and locked her in so Jib couldn't get to her"
Uh huh...You should know that the lock on our door is not some simple bathroom door lock with a pop button or push in handle...its pretty much a front door lock...and of course we don't have a key.  We live in a parsonage...albeit a very nice parsonage...but a parsonage where we did not install the lock and we do not have the key.  So even though I am rather adept at picking locks (I had two sisters and I learned how to get into the bathroom...sometimes they would lock the door while they showered and I needed to pee!)...I couldn't pick this lock...too complicated for me.
I called Mike...luckily he was just across the parking lot at the church...and I hope (so did he) that one of the random keys we were given when we moved in that might work on any number of doors between the parsonage and the church would work on our bedroom door.  They didn't.
Then my wonderful husband remembered that the hvac closet is right next to our bedroom and has both a door to the hallway and a door to our bedroom.  Why...I don't know...but today I was grateful for it!!  

There is a space about 6 inches wide (as you can see in the above picture...that space where you see the shutters is the space)...just wide enough to pass through a 4 year old and made her unlock the door.  So even though she was crying because she didn't want to, Mike passed her through and told her that she needed to unlock it since she locked it.  She did it and then He praised her for being such a big girl and for being our hero.  It helped her calm down...that and momma snuggles...those always help!  Did I mention I married a great man!  He is such a good dad and such a good balance to me...I was mentally freaking out trying to figure out how to get in there and how to get my clothes (yes I was still in my pjs!) and a whole host of how to's.  He was so calm and awesome!

In other "Keys"...we just bought a membership to the Abilene Public Library....yes we had to buy it even though it is public because we don't live in Taylor County, but it was only $10 for the year and we are in Abilene right across the street from the main branch for Ballet twice a week...so that was a simple decision.  Today was the first time we have checked out books from there.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that on all books considered Christian in genre or having a christian author there is a sticker on the spine that has notifies you!  I LOVE this... I try to make sure that the books that MK reads are age appropriate and also content appropriate for a christian young lady, but sometimes its hard to know without reading the book, there are not a lot of places out there that do christian reviews of kids books (plugged-in, on the off chance that your reading this...please add this!).  So, having this makes it easier for me to trust that the content shouldn't be bad and should be appropriate for my daughter.  Also, it is helpful for me....I don't want to end up with trashy books either, so...yeah...I am loving our $10 investment!


No comments:

Post a Comment