.

.
photo cred:Amanda V Photography

Monday, February 18, 2013

Lentil Soup: Revisited!

A couple of weeks ago I made Lentil soup for the first time.  It was a so good and I have made it a couple times since then.  The other day my sweet father-in-law was telling me about how his mom used to make lentil soup for him.  She would soak the lentils and cook them for hours and with carrot and garlic and onion and then add tomato sauce in with the water.  He reminisced about how much he loved it and had never found anything like it.  CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Now I don't know if this is what his mom's was like, but the soup that I thought couldn't get any better just blew my mind!  I will put the recipe at the end of this post if you are interested, but I will walk you through it now.  I heated up some olive oil in my dutch oven and added diced garlic, onion, carrot, and celery and some kosher salt.  Then I added some diced prosciutto and some chopped raw chicken.  Then added some italian seasoning and some more kosher salt.  Once the chicken has just cooked through, I added a small can of tomato paste, a bag of lentils, and 10 cups of chicken stock...brought it to a boil then let it simmer on low for about 3 hours.  Oh man, it was good, good, GOOD!  I can't wait to see my father-in-law again soon so  I can make this for him and see if it is anything close to one of his childhood favorites!


Here's a look at what was in the pot...didn't look too spectacular, but looks can be deceiving!



And here's the bowl with a biscuit on the side...and YES, Mk made the biscuits!


Get a load of my family around our new (to us) dining room table.  We found it on craigslist in Austin and my sweet sister went and picked it up for us and brought it to us when we met them this weekend.  You can't see how absolutely gorgeous the top of this table is because I have it covered in part to protect it, but look at all of that space around the table!  That's the reason we needed a new table, we needed to be able to fit more people around the table if we have people over.  Our old table was great for us 4, but if we had people over for dinner, we couldn't put anything on the table with all the plates on it.  As you can see, there is room to spare, plus there are two leaves for the table...LOVE!


On a final note, this little goober woke up this morning with a 101 fever and a snotty nose...no fun!  Pray that it is just a little cold and nothing more serious and that it doesn't ravage our whole house!
Mike commented that every time Haylie and Bria are together one of them seems to get sick...I told him that's because the world can't handle the awesomeness of them healthy together!  


Tomato Lentil Soup:
Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic, diced
2-3 TBS. olive oil
1/2 cup onion diced
1 cup carrot diced
1 cup celery diced
3 slices of prosciutto, diced
1 large chicken breast (approx. 3/4 lb - 1 lb)
1 6oz can tomato paste
1lb bag of lentils
10 c. chicken stock
kosher salt
Italian Seasoning

Directions:
heat up olive oil in stock pot or dutch oven.   Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and some salt and saute for a couple minutes until they start to soften.  Add  the prosciutto and saute for a few more minutes.  Add the chicken and a little more salt and cook until just cooked through. Add, tomato paste, lentils, chicken stock, italian seasoning and a little more salt.  Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer/lo and let simmer for a couple hours or at least on hour...I did mine for about three hours.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment