.

.
photo cred:Amanda V Photography

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Budget buster

If you know me you probably kniw at least one thing about me: I LOVE to cook...I love to try new recipes...if I can make it from scratch I will and I will be giddy with excitement while doing it!  I love to cook. 

However, thus makes it hard to stay on my grocery budget.   If I am being completely honest, while on paper I have a grocery budget, I have never bothered to see if I am even anywhere close to my where I am supposed to be.  In fact I am pretty sure that grocery shopping is our biggest budget buster (eating out is a close second).  Well, new yeat and Mike and I are trying to be really good about budgeting...budgetingevery dollar.  Zero based budgeting.  Dave Ramsey is probably the biggest proponent of this with his Financial Peace program.  The theory is tgat you spend every dollar on paper before you ever get it in the bank.  Then when you get your check you spend save or whatever how you budgeted and therefore have no extra money, but have a budget to purchase anything you need while covering your expenses. 

Long story not so short (hehe) but I am now working off a grocery budget.  It is a fun challenge.  I am doing meal planning now two weeks at a time and this morning I spent my time meal planning, looking at circulars, dividing up my list between stores, pricing, totalling and making sure ahead of time to make sure that when I walk into the store(s) tonight I will walk out spending only my budgeted amount.  And so far I am right on budget...we will see how it all plays out tonight. 

So what does your grocery budget process look like?  Do you budget or just wing it? Tips? Tricks? Advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment